are your rights in a relationship?
- To express your opinions and have them be respected
- To have your needs be as important as your partner’s
- To grow as an individual in your own way
- To change your mind
- To not take responsibility for your partner’s behavior
- To not be physically, emotionally, verbally or sexually
- To break up with or fall out of love with someone and
not be threatened
Are you being abused?
- Are you frightened by your partner’s temper?
- Are you afraid to disagree?
- Are you constantly apologizing for your partner’s
behavior, especially when he or she has treated you badly?
- Do you have to justify everything you do, everywhere you
go, and everyone you see just to avoid your partner’s
- Does your partner put you down, but then tell you that
he or she loves you?
- Have you ever been hit, kicked, shoved or had things thrown
- Do you not see friends or family because of your partner’s
- Have you ever been forced to have sex?
- Are you afraid to break up because your partner has threatened
to hurt you or himself or herself?
- Has your partner ever threatened your life or the life
of someone close to you?
Are you being abusive?
- Do you constantly check up on your partner and accuse
her or him of cheating or lying?
- Are you extremely jealous or possessive?
- Do you have an explosive temper?
- Have you hit, kicked, shoved, or thrown things at your
- Do you constantly criticize or insult your partner?
- Do you become violent when you use drugs or alcohol?
- Do you use threats or intimidation to get your way?
- Have you ever forced your partner to have sex with you
- Have you ever threatened your partner with physical harm?
- Have you threatened to hurt yourself or someone else if
your partner breaks up with you?
If you feel that you are in an
abusive relationship, you are not alone. There is help available
for you or someone you know who suffers in an abusive relationship.
Call us 800.838.8238. We can help or email Hotline@vsdvalliance.org. E-mail is not a secure form of communication. To ensure confidentiality please call the Family Violence & Sexual Assault Hotline at 800.838.8238 (V/TTY).