Public Policy & Media
Our public policy work
Over the past 30 years the Action Alliance has worked with many state and federal policy leaders, partners, and agencies to bring about legislative and policy changes to advance social justice, healthy relationships and healthy sexuality.
Our public policy efforts cover a wide-range of activities on issues that directly and indirectly affect victims and survivors of sexual and domestic violence. These activities include:
1) Working closely with our local sexual and domestic violence agencies to understand the ongoing and emerging needs in their communities, and then making sure those needs are heard and understood by policymakers;
2) Engaging in efforts to dismantle sexism, racism, heterosexism and other form of oppressions until all persons are safe and respected;
3) Providing leadership and guidance to our members on building relationships with elected officials and communicating with them regularly on the issues affecting victims and survivors in their community, the services provided by local sexual and domestic violence agencies, and how they can help;
4) Advocating on behalf of our membership in the Virginia General Assembly and Congress; and
5) Working collaboratively with state partners and agencies to develop and promote effective laws and policies.
If you would like to join our Public Policy Committee or Work Groups, please complete our Policy Committee/ WorkGroup Interest Form.