Ten Ways You Can Begin to Stop Rape Today
- Donate your time as a volunteer to your local rape crisis organization.
- Donate money to your local, state, and national rape crisis organization.
- Recognize that no one asks or deserves to be raped ever.
- Know that silence does not equal consent.
- Become an ally to the women in your life.
- Take responsibility for your own sexuality: don’t let it be defined by your partner, the media or anyone else.
- Teach your children, friends, parents and peers about the myths and realities of rape and sexual violence.
- Find out what your local K-12 school board’s policy is on sexual l violence prevention and anti-rape education and get involved. If it’s not proactive, change it!
- Boycott media formats that glorify, glamorize, or trivialize sexual violence.
- Lobby your local, state, and federal legislators for funding for sexual assault victim support programs.
If you have been a victim of a sexual assault, know that there is help out there. Call the Virginia Family Violence & Sexual Assault Hotline at 1-800-838-8238 to find a Sexual Assault Crisis Center near you.
Adapted from CALCASA